Thursday, March 25, 2010

Generalizations. . .

So. . . I really dont't mean to be the downer of the class at this point. . but sitting in class yesterday, all I could really think about was, "Is he REALLY trying to generalize us all into one catagory of ignorant teenagers/semi-adults?"

For the past few class period, this thought has ran across my mind, during which Dr. Sexson is usually lecturing on how "we need to become more interesting people" or "people these days have an average attention span of 7 seconds". So, when these topics are referenced, one must assume that they're being applied to the class. Are we being generalized? Grouped into the society that is the masses? When speaking of the Brothers K, I feel as if, just because Ashley hasn't read a book bigger than 300 pages, it means that the vast majority of the class hasn't. That reading a challenging book is a whole new, exciting adventure for everyone, and this is the first one.

Ok. . . I'm gonna start to be blunt here. ~ We're not all ignorant to large, challenging books, and we're not all ignorant to the symbolism within them, or the importance of the work itself, just by itself. From listening to Garrett, and reading other people's blogs, I can speculate that alot of people have read big books, and that this isnt the first one. Speaking for myself, I'm constantly searching for a more challenging read, and was in the middle of one until the Brothers K forced it out of my hands. Don't get me wrong, I really love reading the book, but I don't find it as challenging, or as "wordy" as other people might. I really love how Dostoevsky goes into great depth to really explain things, even if it means going off topic to give a background story. It really adds to the experience. But seriously, not all of us can get sick like Garrett and spend 12 straight hours reading a book and finish. I would get into the whole "boring person" business at this point, but I'm saving that for another time, seeing as it's a topic that will come up with me at the end of the semester.

I'm quite possibly the only person in class who thinks about this, but so be it. I dont like being lumped into a catagory I dont belong in, nor do I like think that someone else is being thrown in right along side of me. I've ranted long enough, and I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll end here.

1 comment:

  1. i feel like we are being generalized in a way but that the generalization is not uncalled for. the points dr. sexson brings up in class are valid ones..people are simply not automatically drawn to really challenging reads anymore because we live a life of such instant gratification. if you're reading something more intense than the Brothers K, good for you. Also, i don't really think it's the word count that matters but instead the content...how many of us would automatically pick up such a deeply religious, philisophical book for a summer read?

    ReplyDelete