Monday, March 22, 2010

Brothers K. . . Not coming along as well as I intended.

So as the title implies, Brothers K and I are not meshing to a point where we can go along with our stories. I'm not as far in as I thought I would be. As an explanation, at the beginning of the book, I mixed up parts and books, so when it said to be done with Part 2, I thought that meant book 2. . oops. So now I'm half way through Part 3, desperately trying to catch up, reading when i can. Most of the time that's 12 o'clock at night after all my other homework, and i usually fall asleep after 10 pages or so. . . Soooo.... ya my progress has been limited to say the least.

Anyway, I'm at the point where Father Zossima has passed away, Aloysha is (or was) stricken with grief, and Greshenka has fled with her officer who appears to be more inferior than he lets on. I must admit, I only skimmed the last bit of Father Zossima's notes, because it's religious talk, and me being the complete opposite, I find it, not uninteresting, but. . . unreal. Say what you will. . I didn't quite grasp the lingo, nor did i really care, so I figured the talk of finding God wasn't essential to the story. I may be wrong, but oh well.

At this point, I'm quite intrigued by the female characters, Greshenka especially. She's so complex!! More so than Fydor Paloyovich (or however you spell that). I find the men easy to analyze, so I've moved onto the non-essential female characters. Greshenka, though, seems to posess human emotions, but also is SO kniving! Using the men "in her life" to better herself, in a cruel way almost. Yet i suspect this is because she doesn't know who she is, or what she wants in life, so playing men is her way of guessing and checking what she wants. Her mind is always changing. I love the challenge of trying to figure out what she's gonna do next. I hope she comes back into the plot, though i again suspect that she will not, for as in all tragedies, someone is going to die soon. The main confict seems to be on the next rise. . I'm excited to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment