Friday, February 5, 2010

"Like" and "Just"

We were told recently to not use the words "like" and "just". Im going to break that real fast, just to finish the quote that Prof. Sexson started in class with one of my favorite movies.

Peter: This is absurd. It's just a dog.
J.M. Barrie: Just a dog. *Just*?
(to Parthos)
J.M Barrie: Parthos, don't listen.
(to Peter)
J.M. Barrie: Parthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just a dog? What a horribel candle-snuffing word. That's like saying "he can't climb a mountain, he's just a man" or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just. . .

So thank you Prof. Sexson, that quote you said made my day last time. The words LIKE and JUST are way too... boring, to say the least. They're demeaning to the things they try to describe. So yes, I agree, they shouldn't be used. I only found it funny how Garrett had to keep saying "like" right when you said not to. I think I got up to 10 times in one sentence. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment