Monday, February 8, 2010

The Fall of Icarus


Now, I see some conflicting perspectives when I read the tale of Icarus, and when I examined the painting Landscape with the Fall of Icarus (William Carlos Williams in his poem "Lanscape with the Fall of Icarus" describes this quite well in my opinion). In the painting, Icarus's fall went almost completely unnoticed, the farmers and the sailers, though a boy had just fallen out of the sky, kept on with their daily chores as if it was nothing out of the ordinary. Even the sheep do not seem to notice, or shy away from an unexpected splash in the ocean near by. Though, in the original telling of the story (or almost original), I don't get this sense that people didnt take notice at all. The townspeople took great interest in scene, for there was a boy falling out of the sky with disintigrating wings attached to his arms!!! The story does not go into how they reacted, but I'm almost postitive that they did not just stare in sheer amazement, and then dilly daddle along with their chores, the sailors who sail on to their destination as Icarus falls behind their vessel and meets his untimely demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment